Building the Team

Help Wanted

SAGE 2019 has been an incredible experience. I've met a lot of cool people, I've got adventuremaster18 helping build out the game story now (Hop on discord if you are not afraid of spoilers and want to talk story), am getting great feedback from the community, and together we are dreaming up new horizons for Sonic RPG.

As we move into the next stage of the project, it would be great if I didn't have to wreck myself. For the SAGE 2019 demo, although I was able to leverage a lot of people's work, I basically was all on my own. Now that the game has some followers, it's probably a good time to start pulling more help from the community.


If you are interested in contributing to this ambitious project, here's what I would really like some help on:

  • Environment art
    • I've been able to leverage a lot of art from Chrono Trigger rips, thus far, and they fit the SatAM/90s retro-tech feel fairly well.
    • For Knothole, in particular, Chrono Trigger's camp scene and forest tilesets will save me a ton of time.
    • That said, there's still a ton to do here, including spriting up Knothole huts, the Knothole white-marble/bone base thing, more Robotropolis set pieces, environment flair (like close-to-camera wires), etc.

  • Sprite art
    • This one is tricky, because I clearly could use some help here, but I am also super particular about how the sprite art looks and feels.
    • As you might know, I've relied heavily on the incredible sprites of Deebs and Racoon Ninja. Forward/backward sprites, poses, and most of the Sonic sprites have been mostly my work, but basically all of my left/right run animations were adapted from these guys' Bunny run animation.
    • Cambot and Rover were straight up traced and sprited from show screenshots. I recommend this approach for most everything, but you can see from Rover that this resulted in me getting lazy with the actual sprite fidelity, shading, outlining, etc
      (Part of why I need help on this is because I'm actually only barely capable of doing this work as-is).

  • Sound Engineering
    • My music so far has been entirely MIDI stuff, and it fits fairly ok for a 16-bit style game.
    • I've been informed, however, that there's a free sound font online which is the exact synth used for SatAM (Proteus 2).
    • I have absolutely no talent or patience for sound engineering. If someone is actually good at this and wants to adapt our MIDI music to use the more authentic synth, making all of our music sound extra rich, that would be amazing.
    • Nathan Gibson emailed me some more solid sfx rips for the sonic run sounds, which are super helpful. I could actually use a couple more sound effects, if people are able to grab these:
      • Swatbot laser sounds
      • Swatbot running metal thunking sounds
      • Cambot hovering sounds
      • Sonic power ring sounds
      • Red alert sounds (Like in Sonic Racer)
      • Electrical short sounds

  • Shaders + VFX
    • I totally suck at shaders. I am barely scraping by on making these work right now. It would be amazing if someone with even an ounce of talent could help me out there.

If you wanna help with any of the above, or have other talents you want to offer, ping me on discord or at reggie.meisler@gmail.com!

Comments

Popular Posts